You are here
Database Administrator - Global recruitment business
- An excellent opportunity for an experienced DBA to join an exciting team based i
- SQL/Oracle expereince required
About Our Client
Our client are a global recruitment company with a growing DBA team and looking to bring on a new head at an intermediate level.
- Database server install, upgrade and maintenance of production, QA and development databases
- Review, plan & migrate data between databases and database servers
- Monitor and tune database servers and databases to ensure optimal performance and availability
- Maintain security and integrity of systems and data
- Incident & Problem Management - take ownership of incidents and problems and follow through to resolution. Liaison with internal IT, business users and third parties. Ensure users are kept informed of progress.
- Develop, maintain & monitor database backup strategies that align with business requirements
- Provide input into the planning of the data and wider IT infrastructure
- Database Design and Programming - provide advice on database physical and logical design and SQL Coding
- Design, build and optimise complex stored procedures, packages and SQL codes
- Self-manage workflow, capacity and priorities and escalate to the Lead DBA when necessary
- Ensure database alerts are actioned and suggest & implement methods to improve alert responses
- Provide suggestions and ideas for continual business process improvement
- Work with the Service Desk, Application Analysts, BI Reporting Analysts, Infrastructure & Development teams to resolve service requests, meet project deadlines & BAU
- Ensure database batch tasks & database jobs are completed successfully, and inform affected teams where necessary
- Maintain a CMDB, ensuring all database servers are properly documented
- Maintain knowledge base articles within 's Confluence environment
- Liaise with vendors and 3rd party service providers
- Be part of an out of hours on-call structure (if required)
- Comply with Change Control policy and provide advice on areas for improvement
- Comply with all relevant standards
- Some out of hours of work will be required
- The role will liaise with peers in Application, QA & Development teams as well as other teams and be able to make technical decisions in accordance with the overall direction indicated by the Regional Applications Manager.
- The DBA will also escalate issues internally via the Lead DBA
- The DBA will be expected to share knowledge with other teams (where applicable), and provide guidance and advice on some of the database related fixes required to support the applications.
- Develop an understanding of how the application & network layers interact with the database, and be prepared to do some troubleshooting & investigation in those areas
- Be the escalation point for database issues
- Escalate any situations to the Lead DBA where process or ownership may be unclear
- Understand the big picture and how the Database Team fits within the organisation
- Assess the effort involved with project/BAU tasks and make realistic estimations on their feasibility
- 3+ year's industry experience in an Oracle & SQL Server DBA role supporting production, test and development environments (versions 2005+). Sybase knowledge will be highly regarded.
- Thorough understanding of database design, administration & infrastructure
- Understanding of virtualisation technologies and concepts
- Experience of Oracle, SQL Server (& Sybase) administration, maintenance
- T-SQL scripting, including stored procedures, triggers functions, querying of the system catalogue, PL/SQL and development of automated jobs
- SQL performance optimisation, including database physical and logical design, T-SQL optimisation and index tuning
- Database server monitoring using Windows Performance Monitor, SQL Profiler and other tools
- SQL Server Agent job creation and scheduling
- XML file extraction and shredding
- SSIS package creation and administration
- Log Shipping and Replication, linked servers and OPENQUERY use
- Familiarity with Data Warehousing methodologies and technologies
- Version and Change control
- Incident, problem, availability and capacity management
- Knowledge of Windows Server architecture
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills is tantamount
- Attention to detail
- High quality documentation
- The ability to work independently as well as in a team environment is required.
- Demonstrated organisational and time management skills.
- Ability to manage several priorities simultaneously.
The Successful Applicant
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent experience.
- Certification in Oracle and/or SQL Server Database Administration or Design
What's on Offer
This is a fixed term contract with a view to go perm and will allow the successful candidate to work on some large and exciting projects for a large and leading organisation.