You are here
This position is now filled
- Legal Officer - 6 Month Contract role
- Sydney CBD Location
About Our Client
My client is an administrative body that supports the 14 health professional Councils to perform their regulatory and legislative functions under the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme.
- Research and prepare matters, attend hearings as required by the Councils for the purpose of providing efficient legal services to hearing members, provide advice to ensure decisions are sound and compliant.
- Appear for the Council and/or brief counsel in the Tribunal and other jurisdictions and conduct prosecutions under the Act to effectively represent the Councils and its interests.
- Provide legal advice and legal services to the Director, Assistant Directors, Legal Director, Managers and committees of the Councils and other functional areas to enable the Councils' officers to undertake their responsibilities in compliance with legal and regulatory requirements in relation to the Act and other legislation related to the business of the Councils.
- Provide input into the development and implement strategies, policies, rules and procedures to maintain and improve the legal compliance and the efficiency of the processes involving hearings and inquiries managed by the Councils.
- Attend to applications under Freedom of Information/Government Information (Public Access) and Privacy legislation to ensure that applications are dealt with in a comprehensive, compliant and timely fashion.
- Provide input to the development of policy and procedural guidelines to reflect legal requirements in a consistent, accurate and standardised manner and to incorporate changing legislative and procedural requirements.
The Successful Applicant
- Knowledge, or the ability to quickly acquire knowledge of the Act and Regulations, other legislation related to the conduct of the Councils such as Freedom of Information/Government Information (Public Access) and privacy legislation.
- Well developed skills in interpretation of legislation and experience providing legal advice and statutory interpretation to non-lawyers.
- Well developed understanding of principles of administrative law and regulatory disciplinary systems and public protective jurisdictions.
- Good interpersonal, written and oral communication skills including the ability to deal with highly emotional situations.
- Ability to coordinate, prepare and review decisions.
- Proven ability to distil, analyse, order and summarise information and ability to prioritise and meet deadlines.
Admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of NSW, with a current practising certificate.
What's on Offer
A 6 month contract role based in Sydney CBD covering a secondment offering a competitve hourly rate.