You are here
NPD Senior Scientist
- Fantastic opportunity to work with a globally recognised business
- Great career progression with an established food business
About Our Client
Our client is a well know globally recognised food manufacturer based in the Melbourne's west and are supplying into some of Australia's largest retailers. Due to some significant growth and restructure in their business they have an immediate requirement for a new member to step into their Product development team based in the western district.
The NPD Senior Scientist will report directly into the Product development Manager and will need to work both independently and with a small team. You will be broadly responsible for the development and manufacturing of innovative new products whilst providing specialist knowledge for the continuous improvement for existing products. Other responsibilities will include:
- Promote Safety, Quality and Process within the business.
- Formulate and develop NPD from prototype to commercialization within the Frozen and chilled product families
- Conduct laboratory and pilot scale trials of new products
- Evaluate raw materials and ingredients for functionality, suitability and quality for use in new or current products
- Liaise with ingredient suppliers to obtain samples and specifications
- Coordinate production scale trials of new or existing products and processes
- Conduct raw material, final products and in-process physical tests. Conduct other evaluation tests as required
- Develop chemical and sensory methods of analysis for products in development
- Analyse findings of laboratory, pilot and production trials and prepare reports
- Prepare relevant documentation such as recipes, specifications and product instructions for new products and/or alterations to existing products
- Assist the process of conducting shelf life and stability studies on products
- Conduct routine final product physical testing
- Effectively liaise with all departments as required
- Undertake training to develop and maintain competency in the full range of duties required
- Assist in other areas of the Research & Development department as required
- Assist in the training of others where agreed
- Perform duties in a manner consistent with the company's Occupational Health and Safety policy
- Maintain the work area in a safe, hygienic and serviceable condition
- Participate in continuous improvement & innovation activities as required.
The Successful Applicant
In order to be considered for this role, you must possess the following skills:
- Degree in food science & technology
- Sound knowledge of flavour development and stabiliser technology
- Broad knowledge of product development processes
- Technical knowledge frozen and chilled product manufacturing processes
- Strong Project management skills in relation to new product development
- Excellent communication (verbal and writing) and presentation skills
- Ability to operate a range of Laboratory instrumentation and pilot plant equipment
- Ability to conduct a wide range of physical, chemical and microbiological tests
- Capacity to create and develop accurate and concise documents
- Strong logical and lateral thinking skills with a capacity for innovation
- High level of competency in computer-based communication and information management tools (Lotus Notes, MS Project, MS Word, MS Excel, etc.)
- Min 3 years' experience in the development of food products including concept development, laboratory trials and production trials
- Experience in ingredient functionality and evaluation of raw materials related to food
- Track record of innovation and contribution to continuous improvement processes
- Capacity to effectively relate and communicate to people at all levels of the business.
- Flexibility to handle a range of tasks with changing priorities.
What's on Offer
This is a great opportunity to work for a well known high profile organization. Based in their regional Production site on the outskirts of Melbourne in regional Victoria you will be working within a well established team who are looking to expand. There is an attractive package on offer for this fantastic chance for career progression and development within one of the growing Food manufacturing businesses here in Australia.