You are here
Unix Storage and Backup Administrator (AIX, Solaris, SAN, TSM)
- Unix SysAdmin with SAN Storage & TSM exposure?
- Want to work for one of Australia's leading retailers?
About Our Client
We're working with a well know Australian retail brand based here in Melbourne, they're on the hunt for a number of mid-level Unix SysAdmin's on a permanent basis. The ideal candidate's will have around three (or more) years of experience with Unix system administration, must have strong exposure to AIX and Solaris flavors of Unix.
The Unix Administrator's role is to supervise and operate the organization's Unix systems (Linux AIX Solaris), Storage Area Networks (SAN) (IBM Hitachi Violin) and Enterprise Backup Environment (Tivoli Storage Manager) according to best practices.
This includes installing, configuring, patching, upgrading, and maintaining the company's investments in proprietary Unix technologies, SAN infrastructure and ensuring the reliability of the company's Enterprise Backup solution. The Unix Administrator is also responsible for planning and coordinating the change management of processes of the above responsibilities. This individual will apply proven communication and problem-solving skills to solve issues related to the deployment of Unix, Storage Area Networks and the Enterprise Backup solution.
What will you be doing in the role…
- Evaluate, install, configure, and deploy Unix systems, SAN infrastructure and Enterprise Backup software, and/or enhancements to existing applications throughout the enterprise.
- Ensure that Unix software meets business requirements and goals, fulfills user requirements, and identifies and resolves systems issues.
- Develop and oversee the Unix, SAN and Enterprise Backup solution change management process across the organization
- Ensure that Unix deployment enhances operating systems, networks, telecommunications, or other areas where it is deployed.
- Recommend any additional hardware or software requirements needed for successful Unix, SAN and/or Enterprise Backup configuration, or maintenance.
- Ensure that any Unix integration into company systems meets functional requirements, system compliance, and interface specifications.
- Perform daily monitoring and troubleshooting of the Unix environments; install and configure patches and upgrades as required.
- Prepare and deliver activity and progress reports for presentation to management.
- Liaise with company's Unix, SAN and Backup Solution suppliers for prompt rectification of any problems or emergencies.
- Coordinate feasibility studies for Unix, SAN and Backup products under consideration for purchase, and give advice based on findings.
- Liaise with network administrators and software engineers to assist with design specifications, program logic, and data conversions.
- Evaluate proposals in order to identify potential problem areas, and make the appropriate recommendations
The Successful Applicant
What skills will you have now…
- Bachelors or Master's degree in computer science, information systems, or business administration, and/or 3 years equivalent work experience.
- Certifications in Unix.
- Strong exposure to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (IBM Hitachi Violin) and Enterprise Backup Environment (Tivoli Storage Manager).
- At least 3 years direct experience administrating Unix systems (AIX & Solaris).
- At least 5 years direct experience in the IT industry.
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- Excellent commercial awareness and understanding.
- Previous experience of working as a Unix SysAdmin in a retail environment (desirable).
What's on Offer