Corporate Accounting Manager
Dynamic new role in a collaborative and supportive team
Implementing infrastructure and sustainability for affluent council
About Our Client
I am working for a highly affluent shire that is home to 150,000 people. The area covers about 500 square kilometres and two thirds of the Shire comprises national park and bushland, with major waterways and rural landscape in the north and higher population densities in the southern parts of the Shire.
The elected council consists of 10 councillors, made up of a popularly elected Mayor and three councillors representing each of the three wards.
The local community value the natural environment, particularly the bushland, national parks, trees and green spaces of the Shire. We are committed to collaboratively implementing infrastructure, sustainability, liveability, productivity and affordability initiatives to ensure our Bushland Shire thrives now and into the future.
Responsibilities of the Corporate Accounting Manager:
- Lead, coach and mentor a team of finance professionals to ensure all external statutory reporting obligations are adhered to including the preparation of the annual Financial Statements and GST and FBT returns.
- Manage the accounting for Council's significant asset base, including undertaking revaluations as required by Accounting Standards.
- Manage the month end and year end financial accounting processes to ensure timely and accurate financial results.
- Oversee the activities of the Procurement and Accounts Payable teams to ensure controls and processes are in line with best practice and that all policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Oversee the management and return of Council's $280M investment portfolio, investment policy and strategy to meet the budgeted investment income target.
Key Accountancy Projects:
- Suggest improvements in Council's financial system to improve the asset capitalisation and reconciliation process.
- Revalue Council's assets as required by accounting standards, ensuring assets reconcile to supporting systems each year end.
- Assess the requirements of new accounting standards, including their impact on the Financial Statements.
- Manage the external audit including resolution of matters raised and reviewing controls throughout the year to ensure best practice.
- Ensure all statutory deadlines are adhered to including the preparation of the Annual Financial Statements.
The Successful Applicant
The ideal Corporate Accounting Manager would be:
- CA or CPA qualified
- Current class C drivers license
- Ideally qualified within one of the Big4
- Staff management - ideally more than 4
What's on Offer
This role is going to be largely written by yourself. The team hasn't had someone in the Corporate Accounting Manager role for a while and are keen to find someone to join their family whilst also building on their current skill sets. It will be largely home based with the occasional coffee shop meeting. It is initially a six month contract with the potential to go permanent for the right candidate.