10 month contract
Government client in Sydney CBD
About Our Client
Government organization located in Sydney CBD.
The major objectives to be achieved by the GIS Operator are:
- To maintain research data in order to provide timely and accurate information to support evidence-based research and analysis for Strategic Planning, Economic Development and Urban Research.
- Assist in the successful completion of the preparation, fieldwork, validation, analysis and reporting when appropriate.
- To be held accountable for working conditions under the control of the position and for detecting any unsafe or unhealthy conditions or behaviour and to take immediate steps to investigate and rectify and risks to health, safety and welfare arising from any activity
The major accountabilities and tasks to be achieved by the GIS Operator are to:
- Analyse data, prepare reports and initiate research using the information collected
- Prepare and compile data and analysis as requested by internal and external customers;
- Communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders using judgement, professional expertise and appropriate discretion to negotiate, mediate and resolve conflicts where required;
- Be responsible for fostering an environment in which empowerment and consultation are the norm.
- Adhere to all relevant company policies and procedures.
- Other related duties as directed.
- Comply with and keep abreast of any relevant legislation applicable to the performance of the duties of this position.
Occupation Health & Safety Responsibilities
Employees have an active role to play in the Safety Management System (SMS). Employees shall be responsible and accountable for:
- Working safely so as not to put themself or others at risk;
- Ensuring a hosted visitor is made aware of any relevant site safety rules and procedures;
- Cooperating and complying with any established safe work method statements or standard operating procedures designed for your health and safety and participate in developing these;
- Notifying your immediate supervisor of anything that might have the potential to cause harm to yourself or others;
- Reporting all accident or incidents to your supervisor immediately;
- Following all instructions and procedures;
- Attending safety training;
- Reporting all hazards;
- Participating in accident/incident investigation and risk management activities; and
Complying with the requirements of the company's Return to Work program.
Authority To Act
- The incumbent has the authority to take any reasonable steps to ensure that the smooth flow of operations is maintained providing the actions are consistent with the responsibilities of the position and subject to any limitations, corporate policies, procedures or safe work method statements.
- All personnel have the power to stop work in circumstances that are deemed an immediate risk to health and safety until a satisfactory resolution is agreed or implemented. Such circumstances may include life threatening situations of those that could result in loss of limb or other significant lost time injury.
The Successful Applicant
- An undergraduate degree in Planning, Urban Geography or similar.
- Demonstrated capacity to apply quality research skills to a range of social, economic, urban and planning issues.
- Demonstrated data collection, maintenance and analysis experience and experience in large-scale data projects.
- Demonstrated experience in presenting data, analysis or reports.
- An understanding of the land use development process including feasibility, development applications, documentation, construction and certification issues.
- High level Microsoft Excel and Access skills.
- Good working knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), specifically ArcGIS.
- An understanding of and commitment to quality management and systems.
- Good ability to reason conceptually, and readily acquire and apply new information to make clear decisions and resolve problems.
- Very strong time management skills, in particular an ability to think broadly and balance competing priorities in a complex and high volume work environment.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to provide clear advice, negotiate effectively, and interact with a broad range of staff, the private sector and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity, Occupational Health and Safety and Cultural Diversity principles.
What's on Offer
10 month contract with my government client