Legal Officer - Government (contract role)
Join part of a small and close-knit team
Minimum of 3 months with the opportunity to extend
About Our Client
Exciting contract role for a junior administrative lawyer!
Our client is a governing body within the Healthcare sector. They are experiencing an increasing level of demand across their legal team and so require an extra pair of hands to help service this.
This will be a contract position for at least 3 months with a high chance of being extended for the right person.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Legal, the Legal Officer is responsible for providing legal services and advice (including the conduct of legal proceedings in courts and tribunals) across the Health sector.
- Represent or act on behalf of our client in litigation, as well as briefing and instructing counsel in more complex litigation under the supervision of more senior colleagues.
- Provide sound advice to councils, committees, regulatory panels and staff on any aspect of the law but particularly administrative law.
- Under the supervision of more senior colleagues draft and present accurate, clear and concise documents and advice within required timeframes to enable effective responses to changing and challenging issues.
- On occasion, instruct and liaise with external lawyers in more complex matters.
- Prepare contracts and memoranda of understanding between our client and their service providers and partners.
- Contribute to the development of legal capability within the organisation and externally through articles, training and public presentations to improve knowledge of the law and regulation that governs this sector.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of strategies, policies, processes and documentation to ensure compliance with legislative requirements and continuous improvement in the management of legal services.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to improve the effectiveness, efficiency and transparency of health practitioner regulation.
- Prioritising a high, diverse and unpredictable workload requiring careful assessment of complex and sometimes unfamiliar issues.
- Conveying complex legal concepts and information in plain English, succinctly and accurately particularly to staff and hearing members with limited legal knowledge.
- Maintaining knowledge of legal developments in areas relevant to their functions to ensure the provision of wide ranging accurate and high quality legal advice to stakeholders.
- Exercising professional judgment in the preparation and settling of legal advice and in the assessment of legal risk, escalation to the appropriate senior officer in developing options and making recommendations regarding its mitigation.
- Researching and providing accurate advice to councils and committees, staff and delegates on all aspects of the law, but with particular reference to administrative law.
- Preparing legal items for the information of councils and committees and for presentation at internal and external meetings.
The Successful Applicant
The ideal candidate
- A solicitor admitted to the Supreme Court of NSW with a minimum of 1 year's experience and a current practicing certificate.
- Solid administrative law credentials including sound statutory interpretation skills.
- Demonstrated experience in preparing legal advice, drafting legal and documents and legal research.
- Demonstrated understanding of the professional and ethical challenges facing in-house legal practitioners particularly in the public sector.
- The ability to litigate matters.
- Prior government experience is desirable.
What's on Offer
An exciting contract role with a leading governing body in the healthcare sector.
Available to start immediately for a period of at least 3 months with the likelihood of an extension.
PLEASE CALL MARIA CURTIS ON 02 8292 2238 OR SEND YOUR CV TO MARIACURTIS @ MICHAELPAGE. COM. AU.