Manager Planning and Amenity
Leading multi-function teams across the local council
Developing the businesses community vision and strategic goals
About Our Client
The client is a well established local council based in Northern Regional Victoria.
Accountability and extent of authority
This position is responsible for the efficient and effective leadership, management and operation of the following business functions:
- Strategic and Statutory Planning
- Regulatory Compliance and Local Laws
- Building Services
- Environmental Health
- And other relevant projects and functions as allocated
- Drive Customer Service excellence.
- Develop and deliver departmental plans to support the Community Vision, the Council Plan and other relevant strategic documents.
- Provide strategic leadership and planning for the development and delivery of quality services within the municipality.
- Support a cross functional approach to issues within the organisation.
- Implement measures to ensure compliance with Occupational Health and Safety, Risk Management and Human Resource Management policies including associated legislative requirements.
- Minimise Council's risk exposure.
- Effectively lead the department to ensure adherence to corporate values, process and policies.
- Undertake the regular performance appraisal of team members to ensure performance and development needs are met.
- Provide support and guidance to supervisors managing staff.
- Provide leadership and foster an environment that encourages innovation, initiative and pro-active participation.
- Develop and provide reporting against key performance indicators.
- Review and maintain the Planning Scheme.
- Identify strategic gaps in the Planning Scheme and develop and implement new policy as required.
- Engage with the community and key stakeholders on planning scheme development and amendments.
- Ensure Council's responsibilities under the Planning and Environment Act are met.
- Collaborate with the development industry to develop a positive experience.
- Continuously strive to improve Council's statutory planning service - response and management of applications.
Regulatory Compliance and Local Laws
- Engender public confidence in our regulatory services by auditing adherence to permit conditions, educating the public on expectations and taking appropriate action to rectify identified breaches across Planning, Environmental Health, Building and Local Laws.
- Provide advice to the community on enforcement processes.
- Monitor and report on compliance with requirements in a targeted and efficient manner.
- Ensure the provision of an efficient, customer focused Local Laws and Animal Management service.
- Ensure provision of up to date policy, procedures and Local Law
- Ensure the provision of an efficient, customer focused and competitive building service.
- Provide a proactive, risk-based approach to public safety in the Shire for building related matters.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant building legislation.
- Ensure the provision of an efficient, customer focused Environmental Health service.
- Provide a proactive, risk-based approach to public safety in the Shire through ensuring compliance with all relevant Environmental Health legislation.
The Successful Applicant
- A relevant tertiary qualification in either Town Planning, Environmental Health, Building Services or a related discipline.
- Further qualifications in business management, or a related discipline, is advantageous.
Specialist knowledge and skills
- Ability to develop plans policies and performance criteria.
- Contemporary knowledge of and ability to effectively use relevant technology systems and applications relating to key responsibilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Sound knowledge of risk management principles and practices.
- High level human resource management skills, with a proven record in building, leading and inspiring teams.
- Proven problem-solving abilities, strategic thinking and sound judgement.
- Experience in managing staff, ideally in a similar role, including leadership experience in regulatory compliance or planning functions
- Preferably at least 5 years' experience in a similar role.
What's on Offer
The client is paying $120,000- $126,000 package for this role.