Senior Legal Counsel
Are you looking for an interesting role where you can add value to the company?
Do you have an ambition for learning and development?
About Our Client
MLC Life Insurance is one of Australia's leading life insurance specialists and a member of one the world's leading insurers, the Nippon Life Insurance Group. They are well known for providing their employees with a flexible work environment, support in fulfilling their career aspirations and the opportunity to have a meaningful contribution. They are committed to the growth of their people, and creating opportunities while encouraging them to apply their talents in the right places.
The purpose of this role is to contribute, at a senior level, to meeting the legal work needs (non-claim) of MLC Life Insurance and contribute to achieve its vision. The Senior Legal Counsel will provide timely and consistently high quality senior legal support in a broad range of work streams.
This role is apart of the Product and Commercial Legal team in the Melbourne office. They will have extensive and strategic involvement across our business which is undergoing an exciting period of evolution and growth.
- supporting distribution - including the preparation and negotiation of agreements with distribution partners;
- advice and support in relation to life insurance product design and maintenance;
- regulatory advice in respect of MLCL's product, conduct, privacy, anti-money laundering, financial services and other consumer protection obligations;
- legal support to technology and procurement functions for work types including negotiations of master services agreements, statements of work, delay and dispute notices, escalation of vendor disputes (work flow and cost efficiency, panel management, knowledge management and team capability.
- helping the business manage the legal aspects of relationships with other key commercial stakeholders including our shareholders;
- advice to executives and Board members on matters of governance, shareholder arrangements and documentation as well as directors duties;
- drafting bespoke contracts to support treasury as well as investment management and consulting function; and
- helping leaders within the MLCL Legal team drive continuous improvement in workflow and cost efficiency, panel management, knowledge management and team capability.
The Successful Applicant
The ideal candidate will have around 7 years PQE in an Australian jurisdiction and hold a current unrestricted Australian practicing certificate. Prior in-house experience is an advantage but not essential for this role. We are looking for someone who has a willingness to stretch and develop in new areas of practice, and to better understand the industry.
Excellent problem solving and communication skills are paramount, including the ability to adapt to different stakeholder groups. Prior experience in insurance or financial services would be advantageous. Other industry backgrounds including procurement and IT contracting, merges and acquisitions, and treasury will be useful.
What's on Offer
MLC Life Insurance offers a range of exciting opportunities such as:
- work with a WGEA cited Employer of Choice for Gender Equality;
- enjoy flexible work options and an inclusive environment where everyone is respected and valued for who they are and their unique contribution;
- embrace a culture of customer centricity and an ambition to be the most trusted, leading Life-Insurer in Australia;
- access to CircleIn Parental Support - an online support resource for working parents; and
- access a range of benefits including competitive salary, lifestyle leave to recharge and balance work & life, 2 days volunteer leave every year, recognition of service milestones, access to Uprise- our Digital Wellbeing Program and Coach as well as discounts on a number of lifestyle and entertainment products and services.