Senior Policy Officer - EL1
9-month contract + extensions
About Our Client
In the role of Senior Policy Officer, you will be responsible for the management and development of high level policy advice and the implementation of program reforms relating to the Department Services Program. You will be required to work collaboratively in a co-design context with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders including other Commonwealth agencies, state and territory governments, industry experts and consumer groups.
As a Policy Officer, your main objective is to provide effective guidance, recommendations and counsel on a wide range of policy issues to the reference Government Agency. Main duties:
- Develop policy options, on behalf of the Department, in the context of Health Roadmap;
- Provide strategic policy advice to the Director and other senior leaders;
- Manage and co-ordinate a wide range of tasks undertaken by your team, including policy research and analysis, regulatory performance reporting, budget forecasting, transition of the Department Service Program clients to the National Disability Insurance Scheme, development of implementation plans for the Health Roadmap, development of a stakeholder engagement strategy, committee secretariat and development of grant funding proposals when necessary;
- Prepare high-quality correspondence, including briefings, minutes and reports ranging in complexity;
- Build and sustain positive and productive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Actively contribute to the establishment and attainment of team goals and have responsibility for the achievement of specific outcomes within your team;
- Supervise staff undertaking policy development, committee secretariat and preparation of briefs and correspondence;
- Representing the department at inter-departmental meetings, conferences and seminars;
The Successful Applicant
The successful applicant will have:
- Strong strategic, analytical and conceptual problem solving skills including experience in research and development of complex policy issues;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare complex policy documents and briefings;
- Ability to quickly gain an understanding of current and emerging areas of health policy and maintain an in-depth knowledge of the work of the Branch;
- Demonstrated ability to manage collaborative and collegiate relationships with internal and external stakeholders and influence positive outcomes;
- The ability to lead and motivate others;
- The ability to undertake work activities and make sound judgements with an awareness of their possible impact on strategic or operational outcomes for the Division;
- Be highly motivated, engaged, flexible and resilient;
- Demonstrated ability to meet agreed deadlines, work under pressure and operate effectively in times of uncertainty;
- A mature and calm demeanor that is maintained under pressure;
- A highly motivated self-starter with a continuous improvement and best practice attitude; and
- The ability to uphold the APS Values and actively demonstrate the Department's behaviours in action.
What's on Offer
- An experienced and cohesive team with a combined objective to support you in your career and long-term prospects
- An excellent salary package to compensate you for your hard work and skills and expertise that you bring to the table
- The opportunity to impact effective policy change and work on projects that will positively impact your community
How to Apply
If you are currently looking for opportunities and feel this role is right for you, please contact us by applying to this position or give us a call to 02-62228944.
If you feel this role might not be best suited to your skill set but would like to have a confidential discussion on your career, please get in touch.