From its many public buildings of historical significance, to the offices housing international businesses, Melbourne is Australia’s second largest CBD. It closely follows Sydney as the second most populated city in the country, and regularly tops global liveability lists.
Accounting for 6% of Australia’s GDP, the City of Melbourne’s economy was worth $90 billion in 2015. The area offers over 450,000 jobs, and is a significant financial centre in Australia. People working in the Melbourne CBD at the last census were professionals (21.9%) and managers (14.5%).
Michael Page’s Melbourne CBD team matches professionals with Melbourne CBD jobs and some of the best employers in Australia. Our tenure in the Melbourne CBD jobs landscape gives us a deep understanding of the requirements of both employers and job seekers.
Melbourne recruitment experts
The 2011 Census found that Professional, Scientific and Technical Services was the largest employment sector in the City of Melbourne, with 18.7% of those working in the area employed in this industry.
According to Deloitte’s 2016 jobs forecast, Melbourne has been experiencing strong, sustainable growth in the jobs market that’s greater than previously predicted growth in the area. With the resident population sitting at only 37,000, the vast majority of workers travel from outside the local area, meaning that the pool of potential candidates for any job is broad and competitive.
If you’re looking for jobs in the Melbourne CBD, here are our tips for a successful job search:
- Review and refresh your resume and LinkedIn profile, making sure they demonstrate your skills and experience – and check the finished product carefully for errors.
- Find out all you can about the Melbourne jobs market, and get the latest information about the most desirable skills and salary rates in your profession.
- When you get offered an interview, research the company thoroughly and prepare a list of questions showing your knowledge of the business and your understanding of its industry’s key challenges and opportunities.
Melbourne CBD recruitment areas
Michael Page specialises in recruitment for the following industries in the Melbourne CBD:
- Accounting & finance
- Banking & financial services
- Engineering & manufacturing
- Hospitality & leisure
- Human resources
- Information technology
- Mining, energy & resources
- Procurement & supply chain