You are here
Are specialised skillsets or sector experience really essential?
Why is sector experience so desirable?
Problems with playing it safe
Organisations are looking for skilled individuals who can add immediate value and deliver real value to their bottom line
The benefits of change
- Injecting a well-needed boost of creativity to a flagging team
- Finding a new way of thinking about marketing strategies
- Employees that are more malleable and flexible in their approach
- Excitement around the business and product, rather than the candidate arriving already set in their ways
It's understandable that many hiring managers insist that candidates have specific, relevant skills and sector experience before being considered for a role. However, this may be a short sighted approach that misses opportunities to secure valuable talent.
- 'Playing it safe' by refusing to consider outside-the-box candidates can hamper innovation and development
- You may end up paying a premium for sector-specific candidates if they're in short supply
- Diversified experience benefits employees as well
- Candidates from outside your specific sector can bring a fresh perspective